303 s in 85
http://www.bitingtongues.com/sounds.html first two tracks
with 606

Ive found some others from 84 by Yak boy ,Ill see if we can up load

when was the 303 invented , anyone got any tracks using it before acid hosue

markus

Post by markus »

According to http://www.tb-303.org/ :
"The TB303 (Transistor Bass) was introduced in the early 1982's together with the TR606 Drumatix (Transistor Rythm) by Roland. It was invented by Tadao Kikumoto."

solarex

Post by solarex »

It was released for sale in 83. I first saw one in action in 94, and learned its history (knew the sound to death of course). Since then I have badly wanted one. I am gonna get it one day, I just have to decide to pass my money in that direction.

How it got made in the first place beats me. I found it very hard to make it (ReBirth-338) sound like anything but acid. I would love to see a picture of your lounge/pub musician using it at it early days. :wink:

riz

Post by riz »

Here's one:

1982 - Heaven 17 'Let me go'

markus

Post by markus »

Here's an interesting bit of information from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_TB-303 :

Phuture's "Acid Trax" is widely acknowledged to have been the first track to incorporate the sounds that have come to define the sound the TB-303 is known for today. However, the real source for the classic TB-303 acid sound can be traced back to the Blackpool-based band Section 25. Vin Cassidy had stumbled across the remarkable TB-303 effect by accident early in 1983, employing it to good effect on the unreleased 12" remix of Beating Heart (now released on the Section 25 compact disc “From The Hip” on LTM), and in live performances during the band’s US tour in early 1985 (available on both “Deus Ex Machina” and “From The Hip In The Flesh - Live In America 1985”).

While it might seem unlikely that audience members in Chicago or Detroit were inspired by Section 25 to further refine house and techno, the fact remains that a full year before these sounds reached Europe and were employed by DJ Pierre, a band from Blackpool had toured it across most of the major cities in the United States. Had Section 25 released the 12" remix of Beating Heart, and applied the sound sparingly to From The Hip and the Looking From a Hilltop single remixes, history might have been a little different.

graham

Post by graham »

Ah well the Yak Boy thing i had mentioned is by John Hurst who Im shure had something to do with Section 25..He had a lot of electronic gear 808 101 303 and Martin Hannets ARP 2600 was in his studio back in 84. He also had eventide Harmoniser and Bel delays that could sample also .guitar synths a korg one
John was sometimes the sound engineer for Biting Tongues and he d do all kinds of fx stuff from the mixing desk .Sometimes he would perform as
Yak Boy when he d get out the roland gear.
He had a track on the british street sounds electro album not shure under what name.
nice 303 site

mr egg

Post by mr egg »

i lovegg a good bit o' 303 on 303 action