The truth and nothing but the truth.

Discuss musical topics that are not directly 808 State related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

Ancodia

Post by Ancodia »

I was planning to stay out of this whole argument, but - Don Solaris is 808 State's best album to date. It is full of experimentation with live instruments (saxaphone doodling??) giving a more organic feel to the overall sound. 808 and especially Graham even experimented with alternative scales to give tracks a feel closer to the vibe he was going for. As has been mentioned 808 are evolving as a group, you just have to accept it if you don't like you can look elsewhere. Just don't expect to find a group anywhere near the same league as 808. And of course that league is the Premiership where Manchester should quite rightfully dominate (and he fits in a football dig too!! :wink: ). John

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ancodia on 2002-07-21 14:40 ]</font>
Mark

Post by Mark »

Well said mate. Don Solaris is the bollocks.

Also now we got Rio, the title will be coming back next season.
PeteB

Post by PeteB »

Gooner 4 life!
stephen

Post by stephen »

On 2002-07-21 14:38, Ancodia wrote:
It is full of experimentation with live instruments (saxaphone doodling??) giving a more organic feel to the overall sound
Let me try to explain what I mean by the doodling part, the instruments are going through some type of reverb, delay effect.
It almost sounds like a harmonica.
You hear it in the intro which sounds like something off a bad sound effects record.
You hear it in the next track Bond which is not a bad track, I think the vocal tracks like Azura, Lopez, and Moonz are the strongest part of the
album.
To "harmonica doodling" gets really bad in Joyrider, but it kinda works in Joyrider they should have just kept it in that track.
The track Jerusahat has a cheesy quality, lets face it the acoustic instruments and sound effects ruin some of the tracks, I also don't like how a
lot of the tracks conform to drum n' bass.
The last track Banacheq is just plain awful,the fender going through the reverb sounds dumb.
This is not theeir best album by a long shot, the old "electronic" 808 State sounded much better.
So they incorporated acoustic elements, a more natural organic vibe, who cares?
There are a million, jazz, blues, rock bands that are %100 acoustic playing the same recycled shit I geuss that makes them better.
Ancodia

Post by Ancodia »

Considering that most people actually discovered 808 on the back of Pacific the organic sound featuring live instruments is an obvious return to those early days of 808. They just have better equipement and more time to experiment. All the tracks on Don Solaris have there own particular place, from chillin' tunes to the like of Banacheq where I'm sure the influence of Magma on Graham definetely plays a part.
stephen

Post by stephen »

On 2002-07-23 05:12, Ancodia wrote:
Considering that most people actually discovered 808 on the back of Pacific the organic sound featuring live instruments is an obvious return to those early days of 808.
Are you talking about the sax on Pacific?
Don Solaris is not a return to the early days.
They just have better equipement and more time to experiment. All the tracks on Don Solaris have there own particular place, from chillin' tunes to the like of Banacheq where I'm sure the influence of Magma on Graham definetely plays a part.
Thats like saying the newer Orbital sounds better than Chime.
Techno was not about being a musician or having musical talent.
When you name yourself after the TR-808 and go acoustic thats an oxymoron.

This quote from Juan Atkins Mar/Apr '89 Music
Technology magazine, should be 808 States slogan:

"I still use the 808 and 909. The 808 has a real techno feel. Everything on that drum
machine has an electronic feel - it's not like digitally-sampled real
drums".
markus

Post by markus »

On 2002-07-23 09:13, stephen wrote:
bla bla bla.

Markus says:
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm getting really tired of seeing this old topic every day. It's going nowhere. What there is to say has been said so I'm locking it.

If someone really thinks the clocks should be turned back 14 years, feel free to start a new discussion, preferably off topic...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: markus on 2002-07-23 09:54 ]</font>