Over and Out.

Discuss musical topics that are not directly 808 State related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

JD

Post by JD »

Better come clean, it was me who made the original comments that in The Truth & Nothing but the Truth. Sorry Markus but I am not bothered who knows it, but your “I’m telling Graham on you” approach did make me laugh. Wonder how you worked out it was me and my naughty friend. How private are private messages, eh? Big Brother is always watching.

What does bother me is this:

1 I like the 808 that I like, whether it be from the 90, Ex:el or Don Solaris eras. Doesn’t stop me from being a fan. I’ve got the tattoo to prove it!
2 There seem to be a few people who prefer the old sound and not all of them are musically uneducated plebs like me. How dare we not like Don Solaris most as we should think it is their best work yet. We must be daft.
3 Why shut off the topic which has had a huge amount of sustained interest. Surely a discussion forum should be for discussion. As long as we are not being offensive we should be able to rant on about anything. The only offensive thing said was your Bla bla bla comment Markus. Grow up.
4 808 are in it for the music (note my deliberate non use of quotations). Glasgow and Dundee reeked of the Pistols Lucre tour. At both events they played to an inappropriate crowd for cash in hand, must have been good for group and managers.
5 T-Shirts. Sorry but in Glasgow Lisa, Dan, Keith and I sat in the stand and watched a line of multicoloured 808 shirts wander like sheep through a crowd of “up for it” clubbers who found it pretty amusing.You may say that you do not care about what the crowd say and that you individuals. Individuals in the same shirts in the same place for the same thing? Does not compute chaps.

In short I still think that 808 are f***in great but not, in my eyes, quite as great as they used to be. Lets hope the new album renews my faith. My humble opinion, nobody elses. Apart, maybe, from Gary.

You may see me down in Manchester. I will not be the one wearing the 808 shirt, but definitely on one, luvved up to f*** shaking his bum. That is always what I have listened to them for and will continue doing so.

Adios amigos and Markus, if you decide to delete this post or edit it as it does not conform with what you think should be said about 808, I will just email it to everyone on the regulars page which I would like to be removed from. I will of course still be looking in from time to time.

Over and Out

Jon

PS This is in 808 related as I can think of no topic more 808 related than the way their fans perceive them.
PPS Graham, should you read this, no offence was meant and I’m sure none was taken. Top bloke as are Andy and Darren.
PPPS All the best to P and Wee Gary. See you on the other side ya Hibby radge. Who cannae take a bevvy?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JD on 2002-07-23 12:00 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JD on 2002-07-23 12:02 ]</font>
markus

Post by markus »

JD, I wonder what I have ever done to you personally to receive all this hatred. Well, I can't even be bothered to answer all your allegations.

Maybe Gary and you should try running your own 808state site.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: markus on 2002-07-23 13:06 ]</font>
Rich The Donkey Doctor

Post by Rich The Donkey Doctor »

MEEEOW

JD: fair play in speaking your mind and stating your view...but what's the point in being 'anonymous' about it? Complaining about Markus censoring a topic is somewhat hypocritical - by withholding your name you weren't exactly playing the game.

Markus: maybe you can move the thread to Off Topic? I can see your point that certain people were becomming quite 'vocal' but this is a public message board, and Stephen has a right to speak. It's only a bit of muso-debate, and anyone who gets 'personal' is a tit.

thought you lot were all mates!
Souflex

Post by Souflex »

Ha Ha, let me clear a few things up here!

I put the original comment up on the board. JD sent it to me private and I thought it was a fair enough comment, which it was as it has had a lot if not the most replys per subject on the board. I sent it anonymous because I did not want any name atatched to it so as no one would make any pre judgments about the person who wrote it,(for example me who has caused a few disturbances on this board) purely an independent comment with no name needed (Markus).

I have watched with pleasure the first response from Markus being bitchy and personal going further along to Mark, Rodders, Rich and Graham all giving a fair and decent response (even changing my mind) on the original question. I even thought Di....Nick Kings message was good apart from the last comment about the t-shirt thing which I will explain further.....to cut a long story short for me Manchester, 808state, Black Grape the Roses to name a few has always been about havin a bit front, bein a bit cool, bein a bit of a scallie being mad fer it up for it etc etc. What I am witnessing though is 808state fans wearing a cheaply printed t-shirts (no offence Pete as I have 2) to gigs standing out like sore thumbs looking like something out of a Star Trek convention. The other thing is 808 state come from a real druggy-Manchester background and half of the lads who wear these t-shirts can have no more than 6 pints and then regret it the next morning(Markus). Ha! I have to laugh, the person who runs this site cannot even take on board a comment questioning 808states worth without getting all personal, never mind taking 6 pints, it stinks of cheese.

This is a 808 state discussion board, everyone must be aloud a say wether it is right or wrong in your eyes Markus. It is not good enough to look into the forum records and see who has sent an anonymous post purely because you do not like it and THEN go on the forum and blab about "knowing who you boys are"!!

Rich you are a nice guy I'm sure but we are not friends, and that goes for anyone else out there who thinks that we are all one, all buddy's, we are certainly not!

Markus you do a good job of this site, infact this site is excellent, but try not to tame the conversations that go on to much, remember we are not all the sam(thankfully).

Peace and Love :cool:

PS: Whae are you callin a Hibby radge JD??? It's MR Hibby radge to you.
See yer in the toon soon. Greetings to the family an all! Am away fur a chinkie!
stephen

Post by stephen »

On 2002-07-23 19:52, Rich The Donkey Doctor wrote:
Stephen has a right to speak. It's only a bit of muso-debate, and anyone who gets 'personal' is a tit.
If I wanted to get personal I would poke fun of the Manchester United.
Seriously guys take it easy it's only music.
I'll be back to post my review of Outpost Transmission when the album comes out.
markus

Post by markus »

Thanks for the kind words Gary...
Well, I had no idea what sort of a storm I would start by locking that 'The truth and nothing but the truth' topic, so I've unlocked it again.
I have moved this 'Over and Out' to off-topic, which no doubt will create a new storm. Oh well.
Moving on.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

On 2002-07-24 02:30, Souflex wrote:
The other thing is 808 state come from a real druggy-Manchester background and half of the lads who wear these t-shirts can have no more than 6 pints and then regret it the next morning(Markus). Ha! I have to laugh, the person who runs this site cannot even take on board a comment questioning 808states worth without getting all personal, never mind taking 6 pints, it stinks of cheese.
I have to admit to being a bit 'pertubed' to find that none of the other lads who attended Glasgow had anything to do with drugs (altho I gather I shouldn't include JD in this :wink:. When you watch the GMEX footage on Optibuk nearly everyone looks hammered or talks about it. Not getting into the "drugs are bad / good" argument, but for me its all tied in with the lifestyle, the music, the clothes.. ah yes the t-shirts. I wore my t-shirt but yes, I did feel uncomfortable, which is why halfway through the 808 set I went and sat down at the back. It did look very "Star Trek Convention"-ish, and I'm sure was a major factor in the fact that I didn't pull all night.

I agree that as long as topics are not offensive etc. they shouldn't be censored or stopped because of personal opinion.

So, whose wearing their t-shirts to Castlefield then?
Rich The Donkey Doctor

Post by Rich The Donkey Doctor »

Stephen - I was referring to other people who were getting personal, and suggesting we all had a right to debate 'whatever'...

Re. T-shirts.

My view is: they can look cool, but if it's just one group of lads standing to together, it could appear 'geeky', and probably doesn't help 808's image.
PeteB

Post by PeteB »

firstly i'm not upset!

just wanna say that they are not cheap printed t-shirts thank you gary (have yours shrunk, stretched, faded etc)?

also i do wear the t-shirts out when in my local town or in london. i do get people giving me respect, when they realise its 808 state logo.

i do agree about the star trek convention bit, the t-shirts should just be for wearing out & about excepts gigs!

maybe if there was more designs like the old days it wouldnt be so bad!

i was only doing the limited amount of shirts until 808 get round to merchandising again.

i wasn't goint to wear my shirt in castlefield by the way!

over and out!!!
PeteB

Post by PeteB »

respect 2 JD
nickking

Post by nickking »

Yeah, you're right about the t-shirts - you probably won't see too many of them in Manchester :wink:

(a Star Trek convention - yikes, you wouldn't catch me at one!)

I don't think that either Dundee or Glasgow were really the right settings for an 808 State gig (it was more of a dj-type event, rather than a live band experience) - Manchester should be better, it being a free festival, and their hometown - i.e. a lot more people 'up for it' to see the lads (hopefully) recreating the old vibe...

E's? Yeah, I've taken my fair few - still do the odd couple nowadays - not so many, but I guess that's what growing older does to you! Anyway, if I'd had some on me at Glasgow, I'd have been nicked - nearly was what with that guy trying to plant some on me in the queue - that bloody sniffer dog took a definite liking to me after that - even had to take me shoes off to prove there weren't any there!!

Drinks at Glasgow were a rip off - if you didn't have to queue for 3/4 of an hour and didn't have to pay a fiver for a pint, then a fair few more might have been consumed! Wish I'd discovered the alcopops (and hence shorter queues) in the Xpress-2 tent sooner...

No disrespect to either JD or Souflex - good luck guys, and keep partying on.

l8rs,

Nick :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nickking on 2002-07-24 18:00 ]</font>
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

the sniffer dog wasn't THAT good... :wink:
Ian

Post by Ian »

I think it's much better to have people's opinions on this board than to have a load of 808 state arse-licking. If someone doesn't like tracks from Don Solaris or State to State 2 or whatever they should be able to say so and give reasons why (and give their name). I'd rather read that than look at a load of messages on the board saying they think everything 808 state do is f***ing great when really they think some of it's shite!

Everyone's here because of 808 state's music whether it's from the old techno/ acid house/ hacienda days or more recent experimental stuff. Whether you're an 808 geek or a nostalgist or you just like going out and having a good time and getting hammered, it doesn't matter.

Discussion boards should be open for discussion and the topic is 808 state so lets stick to that and look forward to the new album eh?

Or if not JD and Markus should have a battle at the next 808 gig to settle it! Ha ha

Peace :smile:

Ian K
Mark

Post by Mark »

Its all about personal opinion. I wasn't knocking anyone for not liking Don Solaris, I was simply airing my opinion as to why I think its 808's best album. I also rank '90' as some of thier best work.

Surely we can agree to disagree on some points, we are not all going to like the same thing. Thats why we have a DISCUSSION board surely?

Anyway, I know we probably wouldn't be best mates if we knew each other well, but we are all here for one reason and thats 808. We gotta respect each others opinions as no-one is right or wrong. Idon't agree with getting personal, although you may not agree with Markus, without him there would be no debate anyway cos we would'nt have a board. (Even if he is a Geordie loving bastard!!!) Respect to JD too, the only 808'r to have a tattoo, now that is a fan!

I love my 808 t-shirts, and I wear them all the time out and about, but I do think if there was a flock of us we would look a bit of a bunch of twats. By the way Pete, did u ever post that N-Joi CD? I never got it.

Anyway, peace to everyone, and remember its only a discussion not a fight!!! Debate is healthy though.
Souflex

Post by Souflex »

Sorry Pete, the t-shirt thing was not meant the way it sounded (or looked on the screen), I also wear me t-shirts here there and everywhere and they are going to be with me for a long time to come!