New Underworld effort

Discuss musical topics that are not directly 808 State related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

Mark

Post by Mark »

New Underworld album 'A Hundred Days Off' is highly recommended listening.

A good return to form after the slightly dissapointing 'Beacoup Fish'
Rich The Donkey Doctor

Post by Rich The Donkey Doctor »

I forgot this was out! Have to nip down HMV to get a copy today...love all Underworld's stuff...

Recommended listening:

I've been listening to High Contrast's 'True Colours' all summer, and more recently Peshay's new album 'Fuzion'. Both are excellent, but High Contrast's is a classic amongst D 'n' B LPs. I actually stopped listening to D 'n' B in 1999, bored of the constant 'darkness', but there seems to be a new scene emerging with more uplifting toons, and a house-influenced sound.

'True Colours' is essentially a 'dancefloor' album, but every track is instantly memorable with enough detail in programming and funk/soul to warrant repeated listening. And the guy who wrote it's only 20! Think cool disco/funk with Circulation-style atmospherics and the odd old-skool house vocal, tied together with precision beats but without the depressing darkside-bass! Even if you only have a passing interest in D 'n' B, give this mutha a listen because you wont be disappointed...
Rich The Donkey Doctor

Mark - do you have a promo of this? It was actually the single out on monday, not the album. I checked on Kazaa and there are 'samples' of every track - just in the process of downloading...ahem...
nickking

Post by nickking »

Hi Rich,

Apparently it's available from CDWOW ( http://www.cdwow.com/ ), although quite where they got their copies from, God only knows!!

l8rs,

Nick :wink:
Mark

Post by Mark »

Yup, thats where I got my copy from. Arrived Monday morning. All for £8.99 too!!!

Check them out, some good bargains to be had, Layo & Bushwacka @ £6.99, only drawback is the product range, as it tends to only sell chart entries (or likely chart entries)

But I've bought loads, really good site & really fast. Sometimes you even get the albums on day of release.
nickking

Post by nickking »

Bizarre that they have it, but no one else does!!

(from http://www.dirty.org/underworld/ ):

"Release date:
japan : September 4th
uk/europe : September 16th
usa/canada : September 24th"

I'm going off to order it now from cdwow, rather than wait another fortnight!!

(also from the Forums at dirty.org: "Someone else bought it from there and got it,i think it's becuase the site is Asain based and is allready out there") - for 8.99?

l8rs,

Nick :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nickking on 2002-09-04 17:54 ]</font>
Rich The Donkey Doctor

Lads...cheers for the info (again!!!) U guys 'rock' :smile: Free delivery aswell!!!!
PHILTERFORM

Post by PHILTERFORM »

i also got my copy of underworld from cd wow ,i didnt expect it to come from hong kong at that price though.its the mutts nuts
Rich The Donkey Doctor

My copy came this morning. Excellent service from CD wow - fast, cheap, free delivery etc etc...

After first listening 'Sola Sistim' is my fave (track 4) although the whole thing is CLASSIC Underworld. Lovin' it!!!

Post by Guest »

I am also lovin the new album! It is quality Underworld! They are without doubt the most consistent dance band in my view. I can't think who is better......except of course dear old 808!
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Completely contrary to all the above, after feverishly anticipating the new album, reading the above reveiws, and loving 'Two Months Off', I'm actually disappointed it! Maybe its a grower or I was expecting something else, but it just sounds like they're treading water, they've not progressed in their sound like they have done before with previous albums. I know they're still way ahead of most other dance acts, and live they are just fecking stunning, but, I don't know, it just seems to have lost that edge. All the press reviews I've read suggest a return to form after BF, but comparing the new album to BF, it's like comparing BF to STITI. Good but not as good.

:-?
Rich The Donkey Doctor

Dubnobasswithmyheadman

I just picked up a repress of Underworld's first (and best?!) album, 'Dubnobasswithmyheadman' for £2.99 at HMV in the sale! Couldn't belive it - I've had a 'copy' on tape since it came out in 93 - but it's good to have on CD... one of my 'top 10' all time faves - real moody shit!

Rodders - i'm still diggin the new one, although you're right about it not being especially groundbreaking. It's just THAT Underworld sound - no-one comes close...I think it's a warmer vibe than previous LPs, and their knack for atmospherics, textures, and Karl's vocal 'insanity' is as prevelant as ever. I've always viewed them as the more 'grown up' side to dance culture, which I suppose can work for and against...

Off to see Death in Vegas on Oct 9th...haven't heard the new stuff yet, but I saw them in Leeds back in 97 and although being slightly 'battered' at the time, remember they were pretty good...quite rocky/dubby. New Album's supposed to be a cracker - anyone heard it?
PHILTERFORM

Post by PHILTERFORM »

im bored with a.h.d.off already :-?
Mark

Post by Mark »

Just got DIV new CD, not impressed I have to say. I love the Dead Elvis album and the Contino Sessions was quite good, but Scorpio Rising is a bit too far away from the others for me. A bit more rockier than usual.

Having said that it isn't crap, just not really my cup of tea, was bored after a couple of tracks. OK for background listening.