album recommendation..

Discuss musical topics that are not directly 808 State related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

Rodders

album recommendation..

Post by Rodders »

Been listening to "Vulnerabilia" by My Computer, after reading a couple of good reviews.. and it is very good. Once I got past the mental block of hearing vocodered vocals again (feckin' Cher has a LOT to answer for), its really growing on me, and they don't really sound like anyone else (i reckon the closest "sounds like" are Lo-Fi Allstars and Muse), each song sounds different to the last, the lyrics are funny once you can make them out, and they're from Manchester! AND they are managed by Derek Ryder! Good if you want something a bit different.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Got this too and have to agree with rodders, its a very good album.

Also recommended the recently released 'Trouser Jazz' by Mr Scruff, the suprisingly good 'Au Reve' by Cassius, and Nightmares on Wax latest chill out offering 'Mind Elevation'

Look out too for Lemon Jelly's new offering 'Lost Horizons' for more chill out pleasure, and Groove Armada's banging new CD 'Love Box' I got these on promo and they're due shortly.
Vadertech

Recommendations

Post by Vadertech »

Definitely check out Royksopps Melody A.M. and Sasha's Airdrawndagger. Both are simply masterpieces. Also, I picked up a boxed set called essential electronica masters from my local record store and it is tops. Lots of good mixes and only 15 bucks. There's 808 state Bond, the Darren Price Mix of Born Slippy, the Orbital mix of Pressure Drops X-beats. And there's also a full albuym by Yamo, the head of which is Wolfgang Fur of Kraftwerk. Very good but it kind of hard to find. Only seen it at that one store.
SkiFamily91

Re: Recommendations

Post by SkiFamily91 »

I too would reccomend the Royksopp album, it is about as flawless as you'll get :P - except perhaps Poor Leno, which is somewhat mediochre imo. Perhaps the track used to be called 'Leno' and they realised it was very 'poor' relative to the rest of the album, and so amended the name :wink:

The best album i've heard recently is Spirit Of The Sun by Kyoto Jazz Massive. It caught my eye in HMV simply by the wonderful artwork, and after listening to some samples on KaZaA, and then buying it the next day, i remain stunned by the sheer brilliance, and state of mind created by such an immaculate album.... 8) :D :) :P :wink:
Mark

Post by Mark »

Fans of Aphex & Sqaurepusher will love the new effort from Amon Tobin 'Out from out where' not quite as heavy, but superb stuff, opening track back from space is the best I've heard for a while.
markus

Re: Recommendations

Post by markus »

SkiFamily91 wrote:The best album i've heard recently is Spirit Of The Sun by Kyoto Jazz Massive. It caught my eye in HMV simply by the wonderful artwork, and after listening to some samples on KaZaA, and then buying it the next day, i remain stunned by the sheer brilliance, and state of mind created by such an immaculate album.... 8) :D :) :P :wink:
Sounds massive indeed!
SkiFamily91

Post by SkiFamily91 »

yes indeed it is :D

i would also like to reccomend the Jakatta album, seen as it is far more mature than i expected, and away from the 'compromise-the-style-to-try-and-sell-it-to-ibizaesque-wankers' attitude. Several stunning tracks on there :P

I bought the new GA album at the same time, and although i havent given it a thorough listen yet (just skimmed over it), it seems to be full of emotionless rap-style tracks (similar to Raisin' the Stakes from their previous album, which spoils that very album). That disappoints me greatly.... what happened to the pure genius that went into producing the brilliant 'Vertigo'? :-?

Harvey
Mark

Post by Mark »

Yes, I would also recommend the Jakatta CD, its not what I expected. I got the Groove Armada CD on promo ages ago and I think the versions differ greatly to the finished tracks, there are hardly any rap tracks on it, it is quite dancefloor orientated. I too think they have fallen from grace though, Vertigo was excellent and they haven't matched it since.
SkiFamily91

Post by SkiFamily91 »

i think Norman Cook is to blame. It's his annoying remix which labelled the band incorrectly (and made them a household name, which they didnt really need to be), and i guess they expect to sell their albums more if they move in that direction, musically. Whenever you hear/see footage of them DJing, they always play that sort of shit, and never really played any of their quality chilled stuff, but i never cared because i knew that their own albums would restore my faith. Now I am losing that faith. Damn it :x
Unfortunately, i think that the less chilled sound is what most people want - i remember praising them in a chatroom once, and several people replied with abuse like " 'At the river' is total shite, sounds like a hymn". Sounds like those wankers wouldnt know good electronic music if they fell over it....

Harvey