A Cool TR-626 Trick

Discuss non-musical topics that are not related to 808 State or music.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

SPW

A Cool TR-626 Trick

Post by SPW »

I recently purchased a Roland TR-626 off Craigslist and here's a cool trick you can do using its MIDI.
Each of the drum pads can be asigned a MIDI note/number and it will play them in any mode unlike a TR-707. Once you do that after reading over the pdf manual and learning the basic functions now you can use the 626 or 505 to play any drum module or MIDI synth. I'm using it to play Logic's EXS Software Sampler and creating custom drum kits using analog synths. One down side is it only triggers short notes on a synth but that's good for bleeps, arpeggio type melodies. The 626 has a shuffle/flam function but the TR-505 doesn't.
SPW

Re: A Cool TR-626 Trick

Post by SPW »

Some downfalls in this set up.

Loading lots of samples in Logic's sampler for some reason makes my Macbook hot. It's like I'm running Flash software or something.

I need a better USB cable for MIDI. Very finicky.

In Logic Omni mode is on with incoming MIDI. Can't get past it. Very annoying if different MIDI channels are set up on the 626.

I also noticed the 626 has a loose feel. When I record MIDI from it some of the MIDI notes have an off placement. That's not necessarily bad. Break beats in shuffle/flam mode sound pretty funky on a 626.

So the TR-626 seems to work better triggering external MIDI gear like a drum module. Something newer like a NI Maschine would be better for a DAW environment.
SPW

Re: A Cool TR-626 Trick

Post by SPW »

the new edge club 94 with spw

It's a pilot of a new radio show playing underground techno and electronic weirdness.

Gear: TR-626, Novation Drumstation, Oberheim OB.Mx, Roland MC-202, Lexicon MPX-200 (FX), Oberheim OB Mx, Logic software