Biting Tongues - Still On Hawaiian Time - Live Cassette release 09 Dec 2016

Discuss Graham Massey's Biting Tongues and Beach Surgeon bands.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

nickking

Biting Tongues - Still On Hawaiian Time - Live Cassette release 09 Dec 2016

Post by nickking »

A new Biting Tongues live cassette is going to be released on 9th December 2016 and limited to 150 copies only.

It's available to pre-order from the Touch Shop, and consists of two early gigs:

Side A: "Library Theatre, Manchester 16.6.1983"

Still On Hawaiian Time
Feverhouse (Part II)
Iyahboune End
Dr Restore He Sight (Partially)
When It Breaks On You (Part I)
Lock Up State
When It Breaks On You (Part II)
Dragman II
Dirt For 485
Iyahboune (front)
First Use All The G’s
Everywhere But Here

Side B: "Riverside Studios, London 5.6.1982"

The Toucanostra
The Dragman
Big Timing
Live It
45 47a
Evening State/Lock Up State
Dr Restore He Sight
Aair Care

Full details on the discography page.
peterb

Re: Biting Tongues - Still On Hawaiian Time - Live Cassette

Post by peterb »

Help me out, what's the story behind the Toyota bosses trouble and why on Earth a lion having an operation?

https://www.facebook.com/graham.massey. ... 7062206879
nickking

Post by nickking »

Graham would be the man to ask, but here's a couple of thoughts from me:
- The lion having an operation in the YouTube video - don't know - that's just somebody who's uploaded the song onto YouTube and chosen a particular picture!
- The name of the song was originally called "Free Sandeep Popatkar" - probably named after the Tongues took Indian music lessons in Manchester (with members of Eric Random)

- As for the why it was called Boss Toyota Trouble - probably somebody had problems with their Toyota at the time! :P
graham

Post by graham »

It references Surf Music & 1960s Drag Racing Records (example Boss Hoss by the Sonics)
Reset in multicultural (Asian dominated Rusholme/Levenshulme is where we lived at the time)
The asian boy racer culture favoured imported far eastern cars such as The Toyota & Datsun.
The sample voice is from a Sabri Brothers Cassette from a burnt out Toyota .(using an AMS digital delay unit from Burnley Lancashire).
South Indian percussion players use a clay cooking pot called a Ghatam ,we used a clay chimney pot to imitate this on the record .
The guitar has a special double B slack tuning to imitate the popular Indain banjo..(a zither like instrument with type writer keys).
Interesting duet of fretless bass and trombone sliding. .... You did ask ..I ll get my coat...

https://www.mixcloud.com/massonix/ferro ... -mix-tape/
peterb

Post by peterb »

graham wrote: 01 Dec 2016 09:47 It references Surf Music & 1960s Drag Racing Records (example Boss Hoss by the Sonics)
Reset in multicultural (Asian dominated Rusholme/Levenshulme is where we lived at the time)
The asian boy racer culture favoured imported far eastern cars such as The Toyota & Datsun.
The sample voice is from a Sabri Brothers Cassette from a burnt out Toyota .(using an AMS digital delay unit from Burnley Lancashire).
South Indian percussion players use a clay cooking pot called a Ghatam ,we used a clay chimney pot to imitate this on the record .
The guitar has a special double B slack tuning to imitate the popular Indain banjo..(a zither like instrument with type writer keys).
Interesting duet of fretless bass and trombone sliding. .... You did ask ..I ll get my coat...

https://www.mixcloud.com/massonix/ferro ... -mix-tape/
Sorry G, just seen this. Very interesting! It always amazes me how you remember such things.