Crystal Castles ripping off music?

Discuss musical topics that are not directly 808 State related.

Moderators: Ancodia, Pob, markus, nickking

'Steve'

Crystal Castles ripping off music?

Post by 'Steve' »

I noticed quite a few people liked Crystal Castles on here, I did until about an hour ago lol:

http://8bitcollective.com/forums/viewto ... d=4417&p=1

I thought it was quite interesting. Sure sampling is a big part of dance music but I think they over stepped the mark with this...
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

you think thats bad, check this out

http://palmsout.blogspot.com/2007/02/sa ... -punk.html

unfortunately the links don't work but its worth tracking down the tracks, its unbelieveable.

i still like daft punk tho :)
nickking

Post by nickking »

Nah, every band samples - even rock bands...

I don't see the problem... :-?
'Steve'

Post by 'Steve' »

Wow yeah the Daft Punk thing was interesting, no idea they used so many samples!

Yeah sampling is a massive part of dance music, heck I would be an utter hypocrite claiming to be against it doing it myself in my attempts at tunes. The Crystal Castles thing was a bit controversial because they used the whole song without credit, is that legal or not?
nickking

Post by nickking »

'Steve' wrote:Wow yeah the Daft Punk thing was interesting, no idea they used so many samples!

Yeah sampling is a massive part of dance music, heck I would be an utter hypocrite claiming to be against it doing it myself in my attempts at tunes. The Crystal Castles thing was a bit controversial because they used the whole song without credit, is that legal or not?
Good question - a question possibly started by the JAMMS/KLF :)
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

i think where i have an issue with sampling is if the sample in question forms the main hook of the track and is not credited.. The JAMMS use of samples was so tongue-in-cheek that no-one in their right mind would confuse it for their own work.

it's certainly a skill to take bits from other peoples work and create something original (DJ Shadow springs to mind), not to take an existing piece of music, put a beat behind it and loop for 16 bars (a lot of Daft Punk)..

but i still like Daft Punk :)
nickking

Post by nickking »

Rodders wrote:but i still like Daft Punk :)
Likewise :)
'Steve'

Post by 'Steve' »

nickking wrote:
Rodders wrote:but i still like Daft Punk :)
Likewise :)
Yep haha agreed! I guess in that case I just dig Daft Punk's sound more than CC.